Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Delayed Reaction: La Bamba

The Pitch: Remember that other guy who died with Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper? I wonder what his story was.

What Took Me So Long: I desperately wanted to avoid getting that song stuck in my head.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I know who Lou Diamond Phillips is better than his filmography demands, especially to not have seen this. Or, said in a sentence that isn't confusing to read back, I know who LDP is and this is his most famous role. I don't know much about anything regarding The Day the Music Died or the people involved beyond the names and a couple songs. I'm tempted to read up on Richie Valens' real life to compare, but the movie does a good job making his not very long life still tell a story.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Again, I'm not read up on Valens or his surrounding story but this movie makes him look incredibly small time. I mean, this guy had some songs that we still know today and by the end, it still felt like he was in the first hour of That Thing You Do. If that's how it really was, then props to the movie for not overplaying it. Otherwise, the story was really localized. That said, I'd kind of like to see HBO do a mini-series about each singer on that plane leading up to the crash. That would be interesting.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment