Monday, September 29, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Manchurian Candidate

The Pitch: Let's retrofit that 60s movie for the Gulf War. It will have the same effect, I'm sure.


What Took Me So Long: This struck me as a movie that would be needlessly more complex than it had to be.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) You can see a perfect through-line for Denzel Washington from Courage Under Fire to The Manchurian Candidate to Deja Vu, all involving incomplete stories but each movie getting weirder to accomplish it. This movie does a great job of never letting you get proper footing. Washington isn't a great viewpoint into this world because he barely knows what to trust. Everyone else is either lying or just as confused as he is. It makes for a great conspiracy theory movie.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: At times, this was very dull. The atmosphere the film cultivates if effective in some of the intended ways and boring in others. I fell asleep while watching the movie and nearly did again when catching myself up on what I missed.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment