Sunday, September 7, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Rocky IV

The Pitch: Rocky can beat communism and here's how.

What Took Me So Long: I'd seen most of this before but never the whole thing and never with the context of the other 3 movies before it.

Why I Saw It: This is the movie that introduced the world to Dolph Lundgren. I'm calling that a win. It's almost unfathomable to see how jingoistic the movie is. It makes the success of something like Act of Valor laughable.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This couldn't've felt more "by the numbers" if they tried. The beats are all the same. By now, you know that Rocky is going to win. He's going to do it with old school training. He's going to bring down communism by how well he can take a punch against a cyborg. This is actually the highest grossing Rocky movie, so I can't blame Stallone for perfectly understanding the mindset of the entire country at that time. On a side note: it's weird to think that this probably featured the most intelligent protagonist/antagonist pairing in any movie (Lundgren and Stallone are both geniuses with reported IQs of 160).

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment