Sunday, September 28, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Stepford Wives

The Pitch: "So, the other day, I referred to someone as 'a Stepford wife' and someone under the age of 20 didn't know what I was referencing. It is imperative that we remake the movie so a whole new generation gets my references."

What Took Me So Long: Nicole Kidman isn't a draw for me, and this struck me too much as a lazy attempt for her to do "something light" after years of Oscar baiting.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Nicole Kidman, Bette Middler, and Roger Bart have nice chemistry in this. Most of the best scenes were them interacting or responding to something strange that happened earlier. It's a light movie and fits Frank Oz's slightly-off directing sensibilities.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's a 1975 movie that's barely been updated for 2004. It feels completely out of place and takes itself too seriously to pretend they are winking and nudging at the idea. For a movie to be this out of touch (seriously, who still laughs at the idea that men don't know how to shop at a grocery store?) it needed to be a lot funnier.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment