Monday, September 8, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Angel Heart

The Pitch: The hot Cosby daughter wants to get naked in a movie but only if it's weird, with a lot of voodoo.

What Took Me So Long: This always looked weird to me. Bad weird.

Why I Saw It: This movie is part of a long tradition of child actors doing "an adult movie" to show how grown up they are (I'm looking at you Alyssa Milano and Drew Barrymore), so I've always known about it for that. As it turns out, this is just an all-around bizarre movie as almost all movies that include the word "voodoo" are. It reminded me a lot of Black Snake Moan but more allegorical. Had I paid more attention while watching it, I'd almost call it clever.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Then again, the main character is named Angel and he's working for Louis Cyphre. The movie's not subtle and clever indeed is too strong a word for it. It would be nice two see a movie with voodoo that didn't come off like the screenwriter read a two paragraph encyclopedia (it's like Wikipedia in book form for those of you born after 2000) entry about it. I spent too much of the movie with pictures of Mickey Rourke from The Wrestler pulled up wondering what happened to him.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment