Friday, September 26, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

The Pitch: Hey, people really like The Voyage Home. It's already been three years since that came out. I don't care what script you use. Make the damn movie so we can reap the profits.

What Took Me So Long: Even Star Trek fans warned me about this one.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's always good to see the original cast together. You can't manufacture a 20 year working relationship. It takes time and there's an ease seeing them all work together that makes any chapter of this saga worthwhile in some way.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The movie looks like a two hour episode that went through budget cuts. I don't want to blame this entirely on Shatner's direction but it is telling that he hasn't directed a major theatrical release since. Even though the entire cast did one more movie and several were in Generations, this is somehow the oldest that any of them have looked in a Star Trek movie and the plot was a forgettable mess.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment