Saturday, September 13, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Don Jon

The Pitch: It's like the crude version of Her.

What Took Me So Long: I didn't trust it, being Joseph Gordon Levitt's directorial debut, so I opted to wait until it left theaters to see it. Besides, if I saw it in theaters, odds are, it would've been alone and that would be awkward for a movie based on masturbation.

Why I Saw It: I like Joseph Gordon Levitt. If not for Premium Rush, he'd probably be on my "I need to see whatever he's in as soon as I can" list. I like Scarlett Johansson. She's having a McConaissance of her own still and I'm on board for it. Julianne Moore manages to stay busier than nearly any actress I can think of, and she always adds something to her roles. Hey, Brie Larson's in this too, although she barely has any lines or anything to do. Still, she's there. The story is better than I expected as well. All the ads painted it as JGL trying to better himself for Johansson and I love that it invert's that expectation by pointing out that she's actually pretty toxic. This role is a weird cross section of her roles in Her (female lead for a man in love with a machine) and Under the Skin (man-eater).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Those accents. Good lord, those accents.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment