Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Delayed Reaction: See No Evil, Hear No Evil

The Pitch: Gene [Wilder] and Richard [Pryor] want to do another movie together. It can be about anything. They'll make it work.

What Took Me So Long: I'm shamefully behind on the Pryor and Wilder catalogs. I have no excuse.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Gene Wilder is in some of the classic movie comedies (and some that weren't from Mel Brooks too). Richard Pryor is on the Mt. Rushmore of stand-up comics. Put them together and, if nothing else, there's going to be a great energy. The concept of the movie is deliriously high concept, which makes it an easy sell.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Concept meets execution. The details get me mostly. They switch between committing to the jokes and the reality of things a bit much for my taste. I can only imagine the fun of this if Nic Stoeller or Judd Apatow directed this. It would be far more riffing and far less plot, which would probably work better for this. What's the point in having two of the funniest people alive if they spend half of the movie dodging bullets and being more or less serious?

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment