Thursday, September 11, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Courage Under Fire

The Pitch: It's like Rashomon for the Gulf War.

What Took Me So Long: I can't be the only one who finds the titles of war movies so generic that I forget which ones I have and haven't seen.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's an intriguing idea for a story, but much like Groundhog Dog, it's tougher to pull off than it seems. They have to tell the same story over and over again without it getting dull. That's tough, and they do it pretty well. Each story has its own shade and enough changes that it feels functionally different from the version before it. Denzel plays a good alcoholic, recovering or not (it nearly got him an Oscar for Flight).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Meg Ryan's accent. Other than that, I was a little irritated how they buried the lead with Washington's actions in the Gulf War. It made for a nice reveal at the end that earned him a medal of honor, but it makes the rest of the movie in hindsight work around mentioning it too hard. Small quibble. Much better than I expected.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment