Saturday, September 27, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Stories We Tell

The Pitch: A documentary about the inspiration for Take This Waltz

What Took Me So Long: I wanted to watch Take This Waltz again before I watched this. Ideally, I'd watch them back to back.

Why I Saw It: I'd heard about this documentary for a while (going back to 2012, I think, when it first made the festival circuit). People said it was a snub for an Oscar nomination at the beginning of the year and I can see why. It is an engaging story about director Sarah Polley's attempts to learn about her mother from her family. Few enough people have seen this still that I don't want to spoil anything. I can attest to it being an even richer experience when you see Take this Waltz first.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's a little easy to get lost at the beginning. It took me a while to figure out who was who. It doesn't help that the dad narrated the movie and has interviews that took place at separate times. The ease with Polley's family is great by the end, but it makes the beginning a bit tougher since they gel so quickly.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment