Sunday, September 21, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Van Helsing

The Pitch: So I read half of Dracula, then half of Frankenstein, then got high and watched Underworld. Long story short, I wrong a screenplay.

What Took Me So Long:  It's taken me a while to accept Hugh Jackman as anything but Wolverine.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's a clever idea. People keep trying to modernize the different monster novels of the 1800s. Why not mix them all together and make a world of it. It was a smart move to not try and take it too seriously. Trying to describe the idea for the movie sounds like a Mel Brooks spoof already, so playing it earnest would made it the wrong kind of funny.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: What the hell is this movie? I think it was going for camp, but even Sam Rami gets down to business eventually. This constantly felt a notch more serious than Your Highness and I know that wasn't the intent. I'm so glad that everyone had the good sense not to make another one of these.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment