Monday, September 29, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

The Pitch: Well, anything's going to be better than The Final Frontier. Might as well do a movie that's about diplomatic disputes.

What Took Me So Long: I felt like I needed to start the movies with the first and move in order. Then I abandoned that when I realized some of the movies are worth skipping.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I heard mixed opinions of this movie going in. Some found it boring and others loved it. I'm not sure I've loved any of the Star Trek movies, but I'd put this in the "very good" category. I'd kind of like to know what watching this was like in tandem with TNG being on the air at the time, since I think that would make it easier to track the depth of the peace talks. Somehow, each movie with the original cast manages to admit that they are getting too old for this, right before going and doing another movie

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Until Generations, each Star Trek movie seemed to go through budgets cuts or moves that made them seem less cinematic. This ends up feeling and looking like a long episode of the show. That's not necessarily bad, but it is a reminder that these movies existed more to appease fans who didn't get enough episodes of the original series than they did to entertain a broad audience.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment