Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Amistad

The Pitch: It'll be A Time to Kill but 150 years earlier.

What Took Me So Long: Until about 2 years ago "Starring Matthew McConaughey" was not a reason to see something.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Not sure. It's basically a legal drama in the 1800s about the only topic any of us would still find interesting: slavery. Djimon Hounsou and McConaughey play off either other well for not being able to understand one another. Anthony Hopkins has a lot of fun playing John Quincy Adams.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm not sure what I'm more tired of seeing by now: stories about how shocking the treatment of slaves was or stories where they need a white savior. Both have run their course with me and this one had the feel of pandering on both sides. Watching this in a post-12 Years a Slave world highlight the broad theatrics of the story. If you want my simple-minded assessment, I thought it was boring.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment