Saturday, September 27, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Flubber

The Pitch: Flying Rubber. Flubber. Imagine the fun we could have with that.

What Took Me So Long: Even when it came out, I could tell it was a movie that wasn't going to age well.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is a stupid, stupid, stupid movie and let's Robin Williams completely off his leash. It's very broadly appealing as it's so ridiculous that you can't invest in hating it much. It's also very short in order to not overstay its welcome.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's amazing seeing the disparity between Disney Animation and their other movies during this time. Movies like Flubber and Inspector Gadget simply don't matter the way the animated movies do. I couldn't get past how nothing about Flubber makes sense. The physics of how it works goes from high-concept, to whatever works for a specific scene or cut. There's no internal logic and I'm not going to give it a pass simply for being a "kid's movie".

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment