Wednesday, May 15, 2013

DVR Purge: 5/8-5/14

 So far, this year seems to be marked by finales that don't actually feel like finales. They all seem to be the last episode of the season and nothing more. How I Met Your Mother literally created buzz with a few seconds at the end of a pretty awful episode.

 
The Middle "Hallelujah Hoedown"
I was surprised how little of a deal they made out of Axl not asking ____ out to the Prom. I was afraid that his entire story would be her being angry at him being dense and not even get to the prom. Instead, they blew past that after getting the one good laugh it was worth, then moved on to a sadder story for him. Poor Axl. Frankie can't catch a break either. It was funny that Brick finally remembered the right gift but Mike shot it down because of a time that turned out badly getting a similar gift. The Hecks do care about one another (in this case, Mike and Brick really put in an effort), but they simply aren't good at it.
-Side Note: I fear that day that Sue gets a drivers license. I know she's fictional, but I still worry.

Modern Family "My Hero"
As I predicted, they didn't sit on Claire being on the job market for long. I don't know why I didn't immediately jump to assume she'd be working with Jay. It seems naive of me to have overlooked it. I haven't done the math, but I don't think Alex and Haley are in the age range to be going after the same boys. That's a small quibble though. It's still funny to watch this multi-cam show in a single-cam's body. So much staging. It can't be easy to shoot this episode.

Nashville "Why Don't You Love Me"
The season is almost finally, mercifully over. No one can say I haven't put in an effort to watch this. Had this remained the show it looked like in the premiere (or that I wanted to believe it looked like. I admit part of this is my fault), then I'd happily be on board. It is something far different though. As for this particular week...Avery and Juliette deserve each other. Avery has come a long way if he can seem likable compared to anyone, even Juliette. This week seemed to have a lot of starting scenes just as a song was ending and having people say "that was great". I get that it's tough to generate that much new music every week, but this was sort of throwing it in our face. Oh, and the scenes between Teddy and Maddy included some of the flatest dialogue I have seen in a while. I started to wonder if each side of their conversations were recorded at different times.

Community "Advanced Introduction to Finality"
Boy am I glad Community was renewed. If this was the series finale, I would be very disappointed. None of the darkest timeline stuff made the least bit of sense. The patting on the back about making paintball cool again was annoyingly self-congratulatory. This year has a couple episodes that gave me hope for season 5, so I do think the show can be a lot better next year, but I'd really like to pretend this season didn't happy, which makes me sad to say because I love the cast so much still.

The Office "A.A.R.M"

Well, this is frustrating. I'm looking at this week as the finale and next week as the epilogue. As far as endings go (ignoring anything with Andy), this episode was pretty great. I wish they could've kept up this quality all season. Oh well. The show is almost complete and it seems to be ending on a high enough note, staying true to the two romances which carries the show: Jim and Pam and Dwight and Angela.

Hannibal "Sorbet"

This is such an off little show with everything else that NBC has on. I'm wondering how they are going to stretch out catching Hannibal, because I can't imagine him being imprisoned at the end of the season if they have any long term plans for the show.

Mad Men "Man with a Plan"
It looks like it will be a fun little power struggle amongst all the new partners. I really want to know what Bob Benson's deal is.As I've said before, there's a lot to dissect about this episode, and I'm not in the mood to expand on things much more than this.

How I Met Your Mother "Something New"
97% of the episode was pretty awful. I'm dumbfounded that they are dipping back in to the "Ted loves Robin" well. Lilly and Marshall's situation is simply annoying. What's the point of the Rome/Judge issue. It strikes me as manufactured conflict. As for the mother, I am pretty shocked to see her. Carter Bays and Craig Thomas' ability to frustrate me has me hesitant to get excited for the final season. As long as she plays some part in the next season, I think that exceeds my expectations.

New Girl "Elaine's Big Day"
I'll start by saying I enjoyed this a helluva lot more than last season's finale. I'm more excited by the thought of Jess and Nick being together than I expected when the season began. I suppose there was no way for them to stop the wedding that wouldn't feel a little forced, so, all things considered, using Taylor Swift and a badger was pretty clever.

The Mindy Project "Take Me With You"
This didn't feel like a finale at all. I'll be curious to see what the show will look like in season 2. Even within this season there was a lot of course correcting and I hope everything will be more settled in the fall.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
5/1-5/7             

4/4-4/7             4/8-4/9           4/10-4/16        4/17-4/21         4/22-4/30

3/13-3/15         3/16-3/19        3/20-3/26        3/27-3/31         4/1-4/3

2/22-2/26         2/27                 2/28-3/3           3/4-3/7            3/8-3/12

2/5-2/8             2/9-2/11            2/12-2/18        2/19-2/20          2/21

1/17-1/18         1/19-1/21          1/22-1/23         1/24-1/29         1/30-2/4

12/16               12/17-12/21      ...12/22-1/7      1/8-1/9             1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28     11/29-11/30      12/1-12/5         12/6-12/8          12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3       11/4-11/10        11/11-11/16     11/17-11/20      11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28         9/29-10/4          10/6-10/12       10/13-10/19     10/20-10/27


No comments:

Post a Comment