Saturday, May 25, 2013

DVR Purge: 5/19-5/24

Oh no! The TV season is over. I really won't be able to do more than once a week for these. I think I'm down to 2 shows for a couple weeks.


Mad Men "The Crash"
It's been a week and I still don't know where I stand about this episode. I will remember it for a long time (Plus). It felt way longer than a single hour (Minus). There were a lot of comedic moments (Plus). A lot of them struck me as forced zaniness (Minus). We got some insight into characters when generally wouldn't get to see (Plus). It was often uncomfortable to watch (Plus and Minus). There was no Joan or Bob Benson (Minus). I think I'm OK saying this is an episode that I initially dislike but grows on me over time. I hope next week is a little less experimental because I desperately need some grounding.

The Middle "The Graduation"
I feel like I say this every week but I don't know when I started liking this show so much. I find myself deeply defensive about it. Despite often not being able to handle Sue's character, I got a thrill out of her finally getting her license. That was earned in every way. Brick's slideshow presentation was entertaining and the gag about whispering gave me a giggle. Everything between Axl and Frankie kind of annoyed me up till she started bawling at the ceremony and when he asked for a picture with her, that was quite touching. I assume there will be plenty of Axl in the future, but this whole graduation arc has been phenomenal as he gets his moments with everyone in the family.

Modern Family "Goodnight Gracie"
Why can't more Modern Family be like this? Claire is funny without being a killjoy. Phil is lovable without being impossibly foolish. Cam got to have a C-story that fits his character without being borderline offensive. Jay had maybe the most predictable story but it was short and only went for as many jokes as it needed. Mitchell and Gloria's story was able to be filled with call-backs ("Shame!") and a lot of riffing and still led to something important. The Dunphy children and Manny all got there moments (even if it was just a trite little tag at the end). Yeah. Overall, this was a solid episode. I wish it could be like this more often.

Nashville "I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive"
I am so done with this show. That isn't said in anger. This show has almost always been out of my comfort zone in TV shows. Even for what it aims to do, I don't think it succeeds a lot of the time, but I definitely am harsher on it that someone who likes other primetime soaps like Revenge (I would imagine). Since this will act as my series post-mortem, let's run through it, shall we.
Rayna - I hope she isn't dead. On the off chance she is dead, I hope Mrs. Coach finds another starring vehicle.
Juliette - She cried - a lot. I expect her to continue to dominate the show, which is part of why I can't continue with it.
Scarlett - I'm surprised that that showed restraint in how bright they let her star shine. I'd be intrigued to see a version of the show in which she starts to rival Rayna and Juliette. For now, I honestly don't know what she will tell Gunnar.
Deacon - I hoped him falling off the wagon would be a multi-episode build sort of story, but if there was ever a reason to fall quickly, this is it.
Teddy - Didn't suck for the first time in what feels like months.
Avery - Why couldn't he have been in the car instead of Rayna and Deacon?
Gunnar - Some abrupt season finale course-correcting going on. But, what hasn't been abrupt about the handling of him.
Coleman - he's never going to find something interesting to do, will he?
Maddie - I finally know one of the daughters' names...and wish I didn't.
That's it. I'm nearly done talking about this show for good.

Hannibal "Trou Normand"
This show is the reigning champ of episode titles that I don't understand. I was way too tired to be watching this week's episode. It's good and dark, but quiet. That's my cross to bear though. Will and Hannibal both had some great cat and mouse going on even through Hannibal is the only one who knows they are playing. I must say, I never expected Abigail Hobbs would have so much to do. She's been a nice x-factor to the whole thing.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
5/1-5/7            5/8-5/14         5/15/-5/18       

4/4-4/7             4/8-4/9           4/10-4/16        4/17-4/21         4/22-4/30

3/13-3/15         3/16-3/19        3/20-3/26        3/27-3/31         4/1-4/3

2/22-2/26         2/27                 2/28-3/3           3/4-3/7            3/8-3/12

2/5-2/8             2/9-2/11            2/12-2/18        2/19-2/20          2/21

1/17-1/18         1/19-1/21          1/22-1/23         1/24-1/29         1/30-2/4

12/16               12/17-12/21      ...12/22-1/7      1/8-1/9             1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28     11/29-11/30      12/1-12/5         12/6-12/8          12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3       11/4-11/10        11/11-11/16     11/17-11/20      11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28         9/29-10/4          10/6-10/12       10/13-10/19     10/20-10/27





No comments:

Post a Comment