Wednesday, May 1, 2013

DVR Purge: 4/22-4/30

Fuck. Sweeps are starting back up. Time for one last sprint to the end before things quiet down some for the summer. This week, we have a really good Community and a not so good Parks and Recreation. I feel like I'm in a bit of a bizarro world right now.


The Americans "The Oath"
I'm going to have to be honest. I'd like to say this is a show that I simply enjoy each episode on it's own, like a Mad Men or even a Walking Dead. Really, this is a Homeland. They have to stick the landing with this finale. The whole season could be a bust for me if they don't do it right. There is something they are building to and I'm not sure what. As far as building block episodes go, this episode did an impressive job moving things into place. Both the KGB and CIA have assets that the other side thinks is theirs. Nina in particular is becoming an infinite recursion of changing allegiances. I suspect some shit is going down next week. It's not the show's style to go too big though. I hope they maintain that restraint.

The Big Bang Theory "The Closure Alternative"
Well, I thought this episode was going somewhere. Big Bang can't help itself. It has to undercut everything it does with Sheldon. I think I wouldn't've minded had they shown any sign of growth in him (say, one domino doesn't fall and he doesn't knock it over, just showing that Amy had some effect). No, instead, they sold all that for one more cheap joke. I realize that this isn't a show with higher aspirations, but after something like Wolowitz's dad's card a couple weeks ago, I get irritated seeing it fall back into the same trappings.

Community "Basic Human Anatomy"
This is the first show I watched twice in a night all year. I can't say it ranks with the best Community has ever done. It's certainly in the tier below. The voice of all the characters was spot on. The high-concept was intelligently grounded. The only thing that hurt then entire breakup was that I never cared about Troy and Britta's relationship. Other than that, it was handled perfect. Even the light switch gag (which I hated initially) paid off.
-I couldn't help but laugh at Annie's response to Jeff Dean.
-Based on what I seen so far, no wonder Chevy left the show.
-I hope this wasn't a fluke since it's looking more and more likely that there could be a season 5.

The Office "Paper Airplane"
Yep. They have run out of ideas. No other way I can look at it. A paper airplane contest? A sanctioned one? Remember when the office Olympics had to be covert? Oy. And, again, it's nice to see Roseanne. She's being wasted though. I still wonder if the writers realize that Andy isn't Michael Scott. Methinks, not.

Parks & Recreation "Swing Vote"
Second episode in a row that felt recycled. I'm not worried yet but it isn't a good trend. I did like that how turns out Andy kicked himself out of the band and the Leslie/Ron heart-to-heart at the end was great. I do get the sense that the writers had only prepared for 21 episodes and were ordered to write 22, so they slipped this one in as filler.

Hannibal "Coquilles"
Thanks, NBC, for fucking up a good series. How can you let a show get this far through production before deciding to pull it? This is a truly asinine decision that has ruined the momentum for a series that already had an uphill battle. Seriously, get in the serial drama game or don't. I especially don't understand how the episode they did show is any better than the one they opted not to. It's a bummer because I think this seals the odds that there won't be a season 2.

Happy Endings "The Ballad of Lon Sarofsky"
Thankfully, saying the words "car czar" is so much fun. Otherwise, I'd be focused on Rob Corddry for the most part annoying me here. I don't know, his personality clashes the chemistry of the others. The show is already pretty out-there as he normally is, so it ends up feeling a little strained.

Happy Endings "Unsabotagable"
It's sad. No matter how many other things I see him in Mark Paul Gosselaar is always going to be Det. John Clark to me. I'm sorry. He was just too iconic in those later seasons of NYPD Blue. Of course, I kid. It's nice to see the return of Chase in this case because it gave us a Max with his life put together (comparatively speaking).

Mad Men "The Flood"
This is one of those where I spent the whole time wondering if the responses of everyone were authentic (to the time, not the characters). I like how they showed numerous levels of response people had to it, but this did feel like we were taking a break from the show to see everyone be sad or uncomfortable. Don's speech at the end saved it for me from being considered a weak episode though.

How I Met Your Mother "The Bro Mitzvah"
I didn't like "The Robin" so it stands to reason that I didn't like "The Barney" either. It was all a little too contrived for my taste. I can get into a larger discussion, [AS I HAVE BEFORE] about what does and doesn't work for me. At the end of the day, this didn't make me laugh. Simple as that. However, I am still excited for the finale in two weeks (even though I know I shouldn't be).

New Girl "Virgins"
This reminded me a lot of the episode for Schmidt's birthday last year ("The Story of the 50") in that it spent the whole episode build to some big moment (in this case, Jess' deflowering disaster), then, upon reaching the supposed fever pitch, it fizzled and didn't seem worth it. Thankfully, the steps along the way were a lot of fun, so I didn't mind a disappointing ending...except that it wasn't the ending. The actual ending was Nick and Jess finally hooking up which was reasonably satisfying even though I'm not one of the people clamoring for it to happen.

The Mindy Project "Triathlon"
Same story as always. This had a lot of nice touches, mostly off Mindy one-liners. Beyond that, a lot of parts still trying to figure out how they work together. I hope the firing doesn't mean we will be seeing less of Morgan (I'm surprised to say that considering how much he annoyed me at first).


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
4/4-4/7             4/8-4/9           4/10-4/16        4/17-4/21         

3/13-3/15         3/16-3/19        3/20-3/26        3/27-3/31         4/1-4/3

2/22-2/26         2/27                 2/28-3/3           3/4-3/7            3/8-3/12

2/5-2/8             2/9-2/11            2/12-2/18        2/19-2/20          2/21

1/17-1/18         1/19-1/21          1/22-1/23         1/24-1/29         1/30-2/4

12/16               12/17-12/21      ...12/22-1/7      1/8-1/9             1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28     11/29-11/30      12/1-12/5         12/6-12/8          12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3       11/4-11/10        11/11-11/16     11/17-11/20      11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28         9/29-10/4          10/6-10/12       10/13-10/19     10/20-10/27


No comments:

Post a Comment