Saturday, November 11, 2017

Top 10 Disney Movies



It looks like I'm keeping this up for at least another month. In October, because of Halloween, I did a list of the top 10 Horror movies that I've seen. This month, I'm taking a trip to Disneyland for the first time (In fact, this will be my last post before I go on a brief hiatus for the next few days). It is fitting then for this month to be a top 10 list of my favorite Disney movies.

As with any top 10 list I make, there's a few guidelines which will mean little to you but everything to me. First, I'm looking at the production studio, not at who handled the distribution. Disney is pretty self-contained, but this allows me to include some of their early films like Snow White and Cinderella, which were actually distributed through RKO Pictures. Second, I'm trying to stick to only movies fully or co-produced by Walt Disney Motion Pictures. That means Marvel and Lucasfilm don't count, but Disney Animation and Pixar do. Third, co-productions are OK as long as the other studio doesn't distribute as well. There are few cases of this anyway, but it's a line I've drawn. Most films are produced by Disney in house. They have had periods when they relied in investment groups more than they do now, which shouldn't count against them. And, I don't want to exclude something as purely Disney as Pirates of the Caribbean just because they called in Jerry Bruckheimer to produce. This will end up excluding a few movies that you'll be surprised by. I didn't want to start making individual exceptions though.

Here' how this works. I have three set goals with any of these top ten lists: transparency, proving familiarity, and recommendations. Most "best of" movie lists annoy me because I don't know what's being considered. Is a movie missing because the list-maker hates it or because she/he doesn't know about it? To get around that, I'm including a list of all the movies that meet my criteria. I've spelled out the criteria above, so if a movie is missing that should be considered, that's because I haven't seen it. That's where recommendations come into play. This works both ways. I like offering recommendations but I also love being given them. Let me know if I'm missing something good. I like watching good movies. Proving familiarity is baked into this process. I will only make a top 10 list if I've seen at least 100 movies in the given category. That's an arbitrary, round number that I like. If I'm only including <10% of the movies in a list, that feels like I'm being sufficiently picky.

Let me begin by pointing out some of the studios that Disney owns or owned that do not always make/produce their films under the Disney banner (i.e. no Cinderella's castle at the beginning*). I wanted to include a lot of these films, but couldn't. They'll have to be in their own list one day.
Lucasfilm (Star Wars, Indiana Jones)
Marvel Studios (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor)
Caravan Pictures (While You Were Sleeping, I Love Trouble)
Hollywood Pictures (Tombstone, Quiz Show, The Sixth Sense)
Miramax (Almost exclusively a distribution studio. Didn't produce much of note)
Dimension Films (Scream, The Crow)
Touchstone Pictures (Good Morning Vietnam, WhoFramed Roger Rabbit?, The Nightmare Before Christmas)
(You'll notice that Touchstone has the toughest cuts from a "What is a Disney movie" perspective)

*I'm not going back and rewatching the opening for all of these movies, but I don't believe any of these have the Walt Disney logo at the beginning. The key point is that Disney studios didn't produce the film.

That leaves me with the real deal Disney movies. The raw numbers aren't that far off from last month's. By my count, I've seen 170 Disney movies (69 animated, 101 mostly live-action). That sounded low, when I first counted them up. However, when you consider my restrictions and my understandable recency bias (i.e. I'm not tracking down a bunch of 1950s Disney movies), it makes sense. Last month, I went through a bunch of rounds of cuts and made a lot of weird exceptions, and some movies were cut earlier than worse movies for arbitrary reasons. I love showing how the sausage gets made, but that's untenable with this list. I'm cutting some classics; some stupidly early. Disney, more than any other studio is tied to childhood, so there's some irrationality in my own picks as there will be with movies that I didn't even consider. In other words, I'm cutting off someone's top pick with nearly every elimination. For example, Hocus Pocus got cut immediately and Cool Runnings lasted stupid long before getting cut. I have no good reason for this other than "I watched Cool Runnings dozens of times as a kid and didn't see Hocus Pocus until a couple years ago". So, even more than most of my lists, this is definitely a case of being my top 10. I'm not trying to measure influence or significance really, because that's more of a committee decision. I'm battling nostalgia as much as I can in making my picks and, as always, I admit now to recency bias. The more I think about it, this is a no-win proposition. OK, I think that's enough hedging.

(Top 10 movies produced by Disney, not top 10 quintessential Disney movies)


Top 10
10. Tomorrowland (2015)
Haters gonna hate. This is by far the lowest rated movie to crack my top 10 (It's the only "rotten" on on Rotten Tomatoes). It's kind of a mess of a movie. Brad Bird and David Lindelof (you'll be shocked to read this) had way more stories and puzzles than they could fit into a 2.5 hour movie. The action is pretty tame and the messaging is blunt as can be. It barely even delivers on the promise of the title (which is kind of the point). And I don't care. I enjoy the hell out of this movie. The dynamic between George Clooney, Britt Robertson, and Raffey Cassidy is great. Mostly though, what I love about this is what is great about so many of Disney's finest: it's earnest. And it's fun. And it plays with expectations. I like the fact that it only scratches the surface of all the Tomorrowland ideas, even though I always wish there was more. It's a shame the movie was buried by its massive production bill and hard to advertise charms.

9. Aladdin (1992)
Look, this is an exciting movie, with a simple and effective story. Great protagonist. Amazing antagonist. I love the music (How can anyone hate "A Whole New World"?). It's fairly short and has colorful animation. However, this is securely in my top 10 because there is not a better distillation of what made Robin Williams great than the Genie. He steamrolls the movie with all his impressions and jokes in the best way. I didn't mind it when I was five. I don't mind it now.

8. Fantasia (1940)
I don't have any other first or second generation classics on my list. A lot of that is because I haven't seen a lot of them in years. A few just don't age very well. I love Fantasia though and I had to make room for it. There's something about the ballsiness that I love. It could've sunk the studio, but instead, it turned into this counter-intuitive hit. You don't think you want it until you watch it.

7. The Lion King (1994)
Has Hamlet ever been this fun? Top to bottom, this might be my favorite collection of songs in a Disney movie. Scar is easily a top 5 animated movie villain. I'm giving this completely unearned bonus points because I loved the SNES game. The stampede scene is still impressive to watch. And they nailed the voice cast, especially in the supporting roles, getting the likes of Rowan Atkinson, Whoopi Goldberg, and of course Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella as Timon and Pumbaa.

6. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
A few of my picks are so obvious that I don't even need to explain. It's the crown jewel of the Disney Renaissance and the only animated film to ever get a Best Picture nomination the hard way. There's really nothing to pick at when it comes to this movie.

5. Toy Story (1995)
Toy Story belongs in any pantheon of important Disney movies along with Snow White (first feature film), Mary Poppins (the live-action critical breakthrough), and The Little Mermaid (the start of late 80s and 90s resurgence), but it's also just a really good movie. The animation has held up better than I would've expected. While getting Tom Hanks and Tim Allen (kings of the movies and TV at the time) was a great move, I think I'm more impressed by the delightful stable of voice actors they assembled for the supporting roles. Also, people joke about Randy Newman's soundtrack now, but there's a reason that Pixar keeps going back to that well. That music is perfect for the movie.

I certainly looked at the early 00's as a Disney wasteland for a long time. Brother Bear, Home on the Range, and ChickenLittle are some of the most forgettable animated Disney films out there. I can't keep Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet separated in my mind at all. For a while, I looked at The Princess and the Frog and Tangled as what pulled Disney out of that nadir. Then I came across Meet the Robinsons. That's a great god-damn movie. It's inventive and has a lot of heart. I love how the movie even uses Walt Disney's own words to get them back on track.

3. Inside Out (2015)
I made a concerted effort to not let Pixar take over this list. Limiting it to three was tough. I don't care if it dominates the top of the list though, because that studio blows me away consistently. Inside Out really shouldn't work. It's a cerebral idea that, when I first heard about it, sounded like a better idea for a short than an entire movie. Of course, Pixar found a way to make it work. It's both hilarious and heart-breaking (Bing Bong!!!). Smart too. The voice cast is pitch perfect, not just star-chasing. Pixar really outdid themselves with this one.

2. Up (2009)
Once I get this high in the list, everything is so close that I have to use some context to split hairs. In 2009, I was certain that Pixar had gone too far. They were out of ideas. Sure, they made the rat movie work. The one with the robot that didn't have any words for a half hour sure looked pretty. But a house being carried by balloons? They are just being inventive for the sake of being inventive, right? Wrong. The opening few minutes made this movie infamous for good reason. I was ready to give it the Oscar after just that (I wasn't a big fan of The Hurt Locker anyway). Then, the dogs. So many dogs. I love dogs. And I thought the reveal about the scrap book at the end nearly rivaled the opening scenes for emotional punch. This was the most delightful surprise of any Disney movie.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
I nearly overthought this one and talked myself into picking something more traditional or less imperfect. I'm sticking with my gut though. This movie is a treat from beginning to end. I'm pretty tired of Johnny Depp's shtick these days, but it's never been better employed than it is here. Jack Sparrow is a supporting character who can't help but take over the whole thing, and the movie is better for it. Without him, this is a reasonably entertaining pirate movie with exciting action sequences, great production value, an awesome Hans Zimmer score, and a reasonably entertaining story. While being far too long, I never get tired of watching Captain Jack and the others charm and wit their way through the movie. I'm low on all the sequels, but for one movie, it all worked exactly right. Also, even though I'm not baking this into my rating, it probably deserves bonus points for successfully turning a theme park attraction into a good movie. That's a kind of corporate synergy idea that should yield a stinker. And, before you use my Pirates and Tomorrowland picks to say that I'm just too much of a Disney park fan, I'd like you to note how The Haunted Mansion and The Country Bears are nowhere to be found at the top.

Honorable Mentions:
Enchanted - Disney had its cake and ate it too with this one.
Finding Nemo - While its sequel technically holds the Pixar box office record, adjusted for inflation, Nemo was an even bigger hit. 2003 was a hell of a summer for Disney.
Heavyweights - The movie doesn't really deserve to be this high on any list, but this is a case where I'm letting some nostalgia seep in. Also, fun fact. As far as I can tell, this film is how Judd Apatow and Paul Feig met. So, no Heavyweights, no Freaks and Geeks.
The Incredibles - Before Disney had Marvel, they were trying to do superhero movies their own way (Also see: Sky High and The Rocketeer). And if The Iron Giant wasn't enough to convince you that Brad Bird was a genius, surely The Incredibles did.
Mary Poppins - A stone cold classic. Julie Andrews is a national treasure. The Sherman brothers music is timeless.
The Rocketeer - A bit ahead of its time, it's a forgotten gem from the early 90s.
Toy Story 2 
Toy Story 3 - I only had room for one Toy Story. It's incredible how that franchise has 3 movies over 15 years and no weak installments.
Zootopia - The sheer tonnage is sight gags and background detail in this movie is stunning.

Full List (by Release Date)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Dumbo
Bambi
Victory Through Air Power
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Parent Trap
The Sword in the Stone
Mary Poppins
The Jungle Book
The Aristocats
Freaky Friday
The Rescuers
Pete's Dragon
The Fox and the Hound
Tron
The Great Mouse Detective
Oliver & Company
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
The Little Mermaid
The Rescuers Down Under
White Fang
The Rocketeer
Beauty and the Beast
Honey, I Blew Up the Kid
The Mighty Ducks
Aladdin
The Muppet Christmas Carol
Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey
Hocus Pocus
Cool Runnings
The Three Musketeers
Blank Check
D2: The Mighty Ducks
The Lion King
Angels in the Outfield
The Santa Clause
The Jungle Book
Heavyweights
Man of the House
A Goofy Movie
Pocahontas
Operation Dumbo Drop
A Kid in King Arthur's Court
Toy Story
Tom and Huck
Muppet Treasure Island
Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
First Kid
D3: The Mighty Ducks
101 Dalmatians
Jungle 2 Jungle
Hercules
George of the Jungle
Air Bud
Flubber
Mulan
The Parent Trap
I'll Be Home for Christmas
A Bug's Life
Mighty Joe Young
Doug's 1st Movie
Tarzan
Inspector Gadget
Toy Story 2
Fantasia 2000
Dinosaur
Disney's The Kid
Remember the Titans
102 Dalmatians
The Emperor's New Groove
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
The Princess Diaries
Monsters, Inc.
Snow Dogs
The Rookie
Lilo & Stitch
Tuck Everlasting
The Santa Clause 2
Treasure Planet
Holes
The Lizzie McGuire Movie
Finding Nemo
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Freaky Friday
Brother Bear
The Haunted Mansion
Miracle
Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen
The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement
The Incredibles
National Treasure
The Pacifier
Herbie: Fully Loaded
Sky High
Chicken Little
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Glory Road
Eight Below
The Shaggy Dog
Cars
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Invincible
The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause
Bridge to Terabithia
Meet the Robinsons
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Ratatouille
The Game Plan
Enchanted
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
WALL-E
Beverly Hills Chihuahua
High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Bolt
Bedtime Stories
Race to Witch Mountain
Hannah Montana: The Movie
Up
G-Force
A Christmas Carol
Old Dogs
The Princess and the Frog
Alice in Wonderland
Waking Sleeping Beauty
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Toy Story 3
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Secretariat
Tangled
Tron: Legacy
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Cars 2
The Muppets
John Carter
Brave
Wreck-It Ralph
Oz the Great and Powerful
Monsters University
The Lone Ranger
Planes
Frozen
Saving Mr. Banks
Maleficent
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Big Hero 6
Into the Woods
Cinderella
Tomorrowland
Inside Out
The Good Dinosaur
The Finest Hours
Zootopia
The Jungle Book
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Finding Dory
The BFG
Pete's Dragon
Moana
Beauty and the Beast
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

No comments:

Post a Comment