Monday, January 11, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Race to Witch Mountain

The Pitch*: I bet The Rock can revitalize any franchise. Pick anything from the Disney back-catalog and we'll prove it.

*I'm switching back to The Pitch from "What I Guessed It Was About". It turns out, that I go into too many of these movies blind to make much of a guess. Also, I find the Pitches more fun, even if I don't know exact what the perspective for them is (Is this the pitch that the writer/director used to get it made? Is this the pitch the studio is giving to get an audience to see it? It is a psuedo-tag line? I don't know).
How I Came Into It: I don't remember the original movie at all. I'm pretty sure I have seen it though. It doesn't matter because once the Rock is tied to it, it's going to be made around him. And I'm ok with that. Like Will Smith, he has enough charisma that any middling movie he's in should be made in his image. How else do you explain The Game Plan or The Tooth Fairy working?

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) So, I clearly like what the Rock is cooking. I've never objected to AnnaSophia Robb showing up in a movie either. I like that she's a kid actor that I never wanted to call "precocious". She doesn't call attention to herself like a Dakota Fanning or Chloe Moretz. Granted, they both started much younger, so maybe that's an unfair comparison. Oh, and Carla Gugino. Yay, Carla Gugino. I don't know why I like her so much, but it's nice whenever she shows up in something.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: God, I couldn't tell you a thing about this movie. It's basically E.T. if you combined the role of Elliott and E.T. and recast them as attractive teenagers. The Rock sure is fun though, as the most intimidating cab driver ever.
 Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment