Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Double Impact

The Pitch: What's better than one Jean-Claude Van Damme? Two Jean-Claude Van Dammes!
How I Came Into It: Given the number of Stephen Seagal movies I've had to suffer through for this list of mine, I'm surprised I haven't come across more Van Damme movies. Bloodsport and Kickboxer weren't the hits I thought they were, I guess. Well, the benefit of this is that I'm not tired of his shtick going in.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I'll say this. The dual role stuff was done well. I wasn't continually distracted by it being obvious that Van Damme wasn't actually talking to himself. This is not the type of movie I'd expect to care much if that part worked, so good on them. And the fighting was expectedly 'roided up.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Van Damme is so clearly pleased with himself for playing the two characters. I imagine him taking the dailies home with him each night, watching them, and saying "My god, that is two totally different characters, but I am just one man." Just one look at his filmography and all the other dual roles he played confirms that. And it wasn't THAT impressive. He does a fine job in a completely forgettable movie. That's it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment