Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Harry and the Hendersons

What I Guessed It Was About: A suburban family discovers Bigfoot and takes care of him for a while. Eventually, Jon Lithgow has to convince Harry that he doesn't want him around anymore in order to protect him.
How I Came Into It: Between the obvious title and more than a few pop culture references (Hello, 30 Rock), it's hard not to already know what's going on with this one. Beyond that basic premise, I knew of Lithgow's role in it. That's about it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is a brilliant movie in terms of the pitch. That idea alone is enough to make more it memorable than Nuts, Like Father, Like Son, No Way Out, and Blind Date which all came out the same year and made a good deal more money. So, regardless of how good or bad that you may find it, you certainly remember it. And, John Lithgow gets more emotion out that "Go. We don't want you." scene than he really should've.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It has the benefit of being so stupid that it's impervious to criticism. It's a single idea made into a 90+ minute movie. Because there wasn't a ton of material in the pitch, it really is too long. More importantly, I didn't particularly love any of the characters, nor did I find much funny.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment