Thursday, October 29, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Blind Date

What I Guessed It Was About: Bruce Willis goes on a blind date and it become a full night of wacky misadventures. I'm imagining a 1987 My Date with the President's Daughter.
How I Came Into It: I hadn't ever heard of this movie. I gathered from the poster that it had Bruce Willis in it and some blonde actress who I recognize...oh, that's Kim Basinger.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Did you know the same guy wrote both Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and My Cousin Vinny? Yeah, that guy also wrote Blind Date. That's exciting. I like funny Bruce Willis when he's got a costar who can carry the funny load (Clarification: I think he's a good straight man). There's John Laroquette who simultaneously plays wacky and contemptuous in enjoyable ways*. Also, I was very surprised by the amount of car action in this. It wasn't blockbuster stuff. It was a lot of simple, effective stunt driving.

*Speaking of which, have Larroquette and Chevy Chase ever been in a movie together? I feel like that movie would be filled with prat-falls and subtle digs at each other.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The first half of the movie zips along fairly enjoyably. It's a fairly standard Odyssey story. There's different chapters to the night. Things escalate. Hilarity [hopefully] ensues. Where it lost me was in the second half with the wedding. This became a completely different movie. Willis became a periphery character. I'm still not sure when exactly he and Basinger fell in love with each other. It's a mess of a story. I appreciate the attempt to structure things in an unexpected way, but it doesn't pull it off.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment