Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

The Pitch: Two con men, one a big-timer, the other a small time crook go after the same woman for a big score.
How I Came Into It: I knew nothing about this. I wasn't aware that it starred Michael Caine and Steve Martin. I didn't know it was a Frank Oz movie. I barely knew it was a comedy.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Machael Caine playing the straight man to Steve Martin is a pairing that I never thought of before, that works spectacularly. Glenne Headly more than holds her own with them. This is very much of a piece with other Frank Oz movies in the tone and sense of humor. It is not a particularly inspired comedy in any particular way, but boy is it charming.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Ok, I don't think the big twist fooled anyone. That didn't stop  me from grinning ear to ear when the Jackal returns with yacht of wealthy people at the very end to start a new con. No, the only thing that soured this movie for me was finding out that it was originally developed for Mick Jagger and David Bowie and that is a movie I would've loved to see more.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment