Sunday, March 22, 2015

Delayed Reaction: K-9

The Pitch: Cop movies and dogs are huge right now. Let's combine the two!
How I Came Into It: I was all prepared to call this a rip-off of Turner and Hootch. It turns out, this was released a few months before that though. I haven't compared production dates, but at the very worst, we've got a Deep Impact/Armageddon situation on our hands where two studios both liked the same idea.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) A cheap way to earn my approval is to get a puppy involved, even a fully grown puppy. Jim Belushi plays off the dog believably. It's hard to ever see him as a big movie star (Belusi, not the dog), but he's sturdy in a mid-level hit like this. And, that dog is well trained.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Jim Belushi is no Tom Hanks. He masks far fewer limitations of a canine co-star than Hanks and there's a reason why Turner & Hootch is the better remembered movie (let's start with how it has the better title).


Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment