Thursday, March 12, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Preacher's Wife

The Pitch: What would you do if Denzel Washington was an angel sent down from heaven? Fall in love with him, right?
How I Came Into It: I really hadn't ever heard of this movie before and had no idea what it was about. This Club 50 project has really highlighted how much of a box office draw Denzel Washington has been for a long time and how many of his movies I haven't seen.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This movie is so likable at times that it hurts. Denzel hams it up and has a great time doing it. This is the most I've liked Whitney Houston in anything (the memory of Waiting to Exhale still has me soured on her). Even having the kid narrator didn't manage to annoy me by the end. The kid is so damn endearing that's it's hard to hate him.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm a little confused why this had to turn into a sort of romance. What began as a straight-up parable nearly became City of Angels by the end. I'm still not sure that I understand why the kid is the only one who remembers any of this though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment