Saturday, March 14, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Practical Magic

The Pitch: Let's tell a story about persecuted witches from the witches' perspective.
How I Came Into It: I knew it starred Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman from a much less prestige period in their careers and little else.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) 90s Bullock is as likable as you get (The only real competition is 2000s Bullock). Some people really hate Kidman. I really like her when she isn't trying so hard. Drama's fine, but she does well with lighter fare too. This is a pretty low stakes story, so as long as it stays moderately entertaining, I don't need much more.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I know this is based on a book, and I get the feeling that the tone of the book didn't fully translate here. I wasn't sure what kind of movie I was watching: comedy, romance, drama. I'm not saying the movie needs to stick to a single genre, but I do need to know how to approach it and I had a hard time finding the entry point. It doesn't help that I saw Bewitched not long before this and that's a Nicole Kidman witch movie that had a much clearer sense of what it was.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment