Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Weekly Ten: 9/28-10/5

A good and busy week of movies and TV. Even with this week off, I'll still having trouble getting these Weekly posts up in time. I'm just lazy, I guess.


Fresh Off the Boat "Boy II Man"
I'm not sure which was better: Jessica's horrifying story about the vegetable babies or all the men at the table singing Boys II Men.

The Middle "Cutting the Cord"
That ending was so sweet, Axl checking in on Sue unprompted. At first I worried that another kid out of the house would kill the show's balance. That's true, but the new balance at the Heck house and on campus is looking pretty good too.

Review "Conspiracy Theory"
That was a nice way of wrapping the whole season up. I really thought Grant was a bad-guy until this episode, so now I feel stupid.

The Cutting Edge
This was a far more enjoyable movie than I expected. It's nice that I still have some like that left in my Club 50 list.

Saturday Night Live "Miley Cyrus"
Based on this episode, I imagine the writers of SNL all summer pissed off that they couldn't be on the air sooner for all the Donald Trump jokes. Miley isn't a bad host, but I certainly think she's there more to move the needle than because they think she's so great.

Fear the Walking Dead "The Good Man"
This show didn't even have one really good episode to keep me engaged like the parent show did in the first season. I'll keep watching into season two. It is rather alarming though that so few lessons have been learned about pacing and building characters.

The Iron Giant
A friend tipped me off about a Fathom event screening of this and I'm so glad he did. It had been a while since I'd seen this and it looked great on a big screen.

The Martian

Such a good movie. I feel like I need to hold off talking about it for now to avoid using hyperbole about it. I really enjoyed it though.

The Leftovers "Axis Mundi"
I don't really get that opening, although I'm pretty sure I'm looming at it like there's more to it than there really is. Jarden is going to be a very interesting new setting.

The Last Man on Earth "The Boo"
Just as soon as it looked like it was going to zig into the "lying Phil" territory from season one that annoyed me, it zagged into good character moments instead. The Will Ferrell cameo was unexpected, but I always welcome Will Ferrell showing up in things.

No comments:

Post a Comment