Friday, October 23, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Mannequin

What I Guessed It Was About: A guy who works in a store somehow gets a mannequin to come to life. I'm going to guess that there's a wizard or sorcerer involved. She does wacky things because she's not used to having a body. Hijinks ensue. She turns back into a mannequin after helping him find true love.
How I Came Into It: So 80s! This is one of those second tier teen comedies of the 80s. One of those movies really obviously aping John Hughes (in this case, Weird Science in particular).

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) As it turns out, they didn't pull so much from Hughes' playbook as E.B. White's. This was straight up Charlotte's Web, you know, if Charlotte had sex with Wilbur. This certainly isn't my favorite role for any of the actors (except, of course Meshach Taylor), but it's fun to see a young Kim Cattrall and James Spader and at-their-peak Andrew McCarthy and Estelle Getty. Speaking of Meschach Taylor, it's funny how obviously progressive the movie is trying to be with Hollywood. Good on them. It's not their fault it didn't age well.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Ok, yes it was their fault that the movie doesn't age well. I'd like a time machine, so I could go back to when this movie was released to know if this really was "hip" at the time, or if even then, people were like "dial it down a few notches". I'm pretty sure it's the former, but I can never be certain. I'm just going to throw this out there too. Perhaps I missed a key detail or two, but how can Emmy know Christopher Columbus if she comes from 2000 BC? They were awfully sloppy with her timeline.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment