Sunday, October 25, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Dirty Harry

What I Guessed It Was About: Harry is a cop and he doesn't like Miranda rights. He goes around kicking ass and not taking names. I'm basically imagine Falling Down with a badge.
How I Came Into It: "Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Why I Saw It: This has one of the most iconic and often quoted lines in all of movies. That's all the reason needed to make it essential. Clint Eastwood deserves the fame he gets for the role. He IS Dirty Harry.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: They really didn't like Miranda rights. There's a fine point made about them, but it's tough for me to see Harry as a hero. He's reckless in a bad way. I get the appeal. I don't share that appeal. Also, the villain is uninteresting. There's nothing about his motivation. He likes to kill and kind of likes games. That's about it. He's basically designed to make every point the writers want. He's not at all developed.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment