Saturday, January 16, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Truth About Cats and Dogs

The Pitch: An pretty woman gets an even prettier woman to pretend to be her so that a guy likes her and confusion rules the day.
How I Came Into It: I've heard other people talk about this favorably in a non-specific way. Based on appearance alone, this looks like "Generic 90s Romantic Comedy". While I like Janeane Farofalo, I'm used to seeing her in roles like Romy & Michele's High School Reunion, which wouldn't make for a great lead, so that had me a little worried.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Yeah, I loved this and I can't put my finger on why. Garofalo and Uma Thurman are a surprisingly enjoyable duo. Ben Chaplin is pretty harmless too, other than I kept reconfirming that he wasn't and older Jaoquim Phoenix. There's a lot of things about this movie that really should bother me to no end and simply don't. I think I'm okay leaving the 'why' of it all a mystery.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: As I said, a lot about this movie should bother me. Garofalo isn't ugly and has no reason to perpetuate her lie. I don't like stories that rely this heavily on farce and misunderstanding. Garofalo and Thurman sound nothing alike, which can't be explained away as easily as the movie pretends. I could keep going, but I won't because, again, I really enjoyed it despite all these things which really should bother me.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment