Saturday, January 9, 2016

Delayed Reaction: House on Haunted Hill

What I Guessed It Was About: A millionaire invites a bunch of people to his haunted mansion, promising money if they make it through the night...not many of them do.
How I Came Into It: I fell asleep early into watching the original* a couple years ago, so I didn't go into this with any immediate comparisons to the original. Also, there is no way I'm not confusing this with The Haunting starting now.

*In my defense, it was in the middle of a long horror movie marathon including The Ring, The Blair Witch Project, The Shining, I think Scream, and maybe a couple others.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Owen Wilson was an interesting choice This is a loopy movie. That's really the only angle I can attack this from. It's like if Clue tried to be an actual horror movie. It turns out this is from the same company that made the Thirteen Ghosts remake, which is a movie I've seen several times for some reason. It makes sense, because this and Thirteen Ghosts feel very similar. This is trying to be a horror movie without any scares and they got Oscar winner Geoffrey Rush to lead it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Whatever, the movie isn't actually scary at all and the story is convoluted. I don't care. I want to spend this time on one question: Why cast Ali Larter AND Bridgette Wilson? They are too similar. I get that Hollywood loves pretty people. I do too. But come on. Aren't they too much the same? Think of a movie with Ali Larter in it. Now think of Bridgette Wilson playing that part instead. See no difference. Ali Larter could teaching Billy Madison and Bridgette Wilson is wearing Whip Cream lingerie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend


No comments:

Post a Comment