Monday, January 4, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Police Academy

What I Guessed It Was About: In some city, the requirements to be a cop are lowered to the point that virtually anyone can be a cop.
How I Came Into It: There's a sequel to this called Assignment Miami Beach. That's the kind of series this is. How can I not be excited to see what started it all?

Why I Saw It: This is everything you think of when someone talks about 80s raunchy comedies. Steve Guttenberg is The Man and I'm always happy to see a young Kim Cattrall show up. Michael Winslow is fun with all his sounds.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm not the right generation for this movie to be beloved. This feels like an attempt to recapture what Porky's did which itself was an attempt to recapture what Animal House did. It's a malleable premise, which I appreciate, but nothing interesting is done with it. A lot of things that some people will call "irreverent", I call "telling lazy jokes".

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment