Saturday, January 23, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Dying Young

The Pitch: Remember when Julia Roberts caused you to cry in Steel Magnolias? Just you wait.
How I Came Into It: The title tells you what you need to know. I figured Roberts wasn't going to be the one dying again [after the aforementioned Steel Magnolias], so it figures to be her love interest. I'm 100% certain this movie was sold on the title and nothing else. Some crazed studio executive saying, "If they want to cry, we'll make 'em cry."

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Julia Roberts is fine and Campbell Scott clearly did some research to try to be plausible with Leukemia. Looking back, I have to say, Joel Schumacher has had a marvelously eclectic career. I mean, he went from The Lost Boys to Cousins to Flatliners to this to Falling Down and in five years - bat-nipples. That's a pretty wide swing.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's not hard to see why this we so derided at the time. It has all the aspirations of Steel Magnolias without any of the follow though. It's called "Dying Young" and Campbell Scott doesn't even die! That's manipulative without even being bold. I gleefully tuned out several times while watching this.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment