Monday, January 18, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Nutty Professor

The Pitch: It's like the first Nutty Professor but with a fat suit.
How I Came Into It: I thought I'd seen this before, but I was thinking of the sequel it turns out. This was the big Eddie Murphy movie when I was growing up, so, for better or worse, it's the comedic performance that I most associate with him.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is a big Eddie Murphy performance and a bit of a comeback at the time. I don't think he's had a role since that he looks like he's having as good a time with. Buddy Love is the kind of cocky character Murphy gravitates toward and and the Klumps allow him to get caught up in character work. Without him, I don't see how this remake could've succeeded.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Most of my ire goes toward watching this on BET. I refuse to watch another movie on that channel. There was literally as much commercials as movie. That's not an exaggeration. It would be 10 minutes of movie followed by 10 minutes of commercials. Ten Minutes Of Commercials! What the hell is that?! That has nothing to do with the movie though. It bothered me a little how much the movie tried to have its cake and eat it too with the fat jokes. It's gleefully written with a bunch a fat jokes, then follows it up with "don't be mean to the fat guy" lessons. That's disingenuous.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment