Sunday, January 10, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Final Analysis

What I Guessed It Was About: That's another one of those generic titles. Uhhh, Richard Gere is a lawyer of some sort, or an expect witness in a trial. Some dame makes things complicated. Other stuff happens.
How I Came Into It: By now, it's been firmly established that I have trouble with courtroom movies from this era (or perhaps courtroom dramas in generally, but that much hasn't been as explored). Still, I wasn't looking to dislike this.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Richard Gere is a great lead for a movie like this. It's got vintage Kim Basinger and Uma Thurman before I would've known who she was. Eric Roberts is delightfully sleazy. This is a cast full of people who get what roles they need to play.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: There's two things I can't shake about this. First, Kim Basinger is literally pretending to have the same issue with alcohol that she had in Blind Date. Is that a weird coincidence or a wink at an earlier role? Either way, that's a bizarre crutch for people writing her roles. Second, not only is this a "twist" that I've discussed before as being one that's been better done since this on numerous cop procedurals, it is virtually the same twist as another Richard Gere lawyer movie. Granted, this one came first, but damn. When people talk about Hollywood running out of ideas, something like this confirms the validity of that complaint.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment