Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Absolute Power

The Pitch: Who would win in a fight? Clint Eastwood or the president?Definitely Eastwood.
But what if the president was Gene Hackman?
Uhhhh, yeah, still Eastwood.
And the All-State guy works for President Hackman?
Oh, you got me there. That's a good one.

How I Came Into It: Not only did I assume that this was another Dirty Harry movie. I'm still unconvinced that it somehow wasn't.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Ed Harris, Scott Glenn, E. G. Marshall, Richard Jenkins, Mark Margolis. That collection of men is a fine mix of leading men, familiar faces, and character actors. If a movie had this cast today, the first question I'd ask is "Are they rebooting The Expendables?". Then there's Laura Linney, who I always like because she tries harder than she needs to, no matter what the role.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The pacing was off. It takes a while to get going and the scene when the president kills his mistress gets too much time to breath. In general, there were just a few too many plot jumps that didn't follow. I've already forgotten too much about it to go any deeper into it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment