Sunday, January 17, 2016

Delayed Reaction: There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane

The Pitch: A documentary crew investigates a deadly New York wreck from 2009.
How I Came Into It: I was on Facebook and a friend of mine posted a list of 10 haunting documentaries (or something like that). Many of them I'd heard of but not seen (Paradise Lost, Dear Zachary), saw and found disappointing (Blackfish), or saw and had my mind blown (The Jinx, The Imposter). This is one I'd never heard of and I was in exactly the right mood for.

Why I Saw It: I love a good mystery/crime documentary, especially feature length so they can get deep into the topic. This one is about a mother who mysteriously crashed her van full of her children, nieces, and nephews after speeding down a highway in the wrong direction for almost two miles. It investigates why she did this, what family members say, the autopsy, and what little is known about her directly before the wreck. It's not an easy watch, but it is certainly an interesting one.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is hurt by the same thing that hurts many documentaries: it's hard to get answers. I thought this would leave off in a place with a bit more certainty than it did. The way it played in the beginning, I expected some kind of smoking gun in the final act that wasn't there. In fact, the intrigue diminishes the more you realize that the family of the woman is simply not accepting the answers given to them.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment