Thursday, November 5, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Nuts

What I Guessed It Was About: Barbara Streisand has to convince a court that she isn't too crazy to be put on trial, much to the prosecuting lawyer's (Richard Dreyfuss) chagrin. I'm imagining What About Bob? but with more singing.
How I Came Into It: Based on Presumed Innocent and The Accused, I'm not a big fan of this era of courtroom dramas. Then there's Barbara Streisand. I hadn't seen many of her movies before this project of mine and I get why. I just don't like her movies. At least, I don't like her movies this late in her career. That said, I still went into this with as open a mind as I could.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I'll admit it. Barbara Streisand is good at times. Very good. I like the idea that this isn't a trial. It's a proceeding to determine if Streisand's character is fit for trial. That's a kind of twisted

Why I Wish I Hadn't: As I mentioned. I thinks there's something about this era of courtroom drama I really don't like. It's melodramatic and spends an unjustifiable amount of time in the courtroom. The "twists" weren't surprising either. While Streisand was occasionally good, most of the time, her trademark ego gets in the way. Remember when we find out that there's a quiz you have to take before she accepts you as a client? Remember when she gives Richard Dreyfuss a beautiful picture of her that she just knows he was infatuated with when he searched her house? Remember when she's the cleverest person in every scene? Perhaps I'm from too modern a time where a courtroom wants nothing more than to deny a person an insanity plea, but never for a moment do I believe she would've had to go through so much to be fit for trial. This movie plays like it was written 10 or 20 years too late*. I was so happy this movie ended.
 
*It turns out this was based on a play from 1979, which makes a little more sense.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment