Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Funny Farm

What I Guessed It Was About: This is The Great Outdoors, right? Like, it's one of those exercises in a creative writing class where someone takes the same script and has two different people develop it into a movie.
How I Came Into It: It bothers me that this and The Great Outdoors were released two weeks apart but neither Wikipedia page notes that. Or maybe I'm seeing more similarities than there really are. There's a similar theme to them though and setting, more or less.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is an odd movie with a tone all its own. Maybe Grown Ups is a better comparison. It has to loose structure and is as much about the random small adventures as the larger story. It's a likable Chevy Chase vehicle and it's amusing enough.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The tone of the movie works at times to convey the simplicity of the town or the events, but it also makes entire stretches of the movie lifeless. I don't really get why Chase and his wife change their mind at the end. I get what the movie wants me to think the reason is, I just don't think that it's a decision those two humans would make if they weren't supposed to for the movie to get the desired ending.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment