Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Weekly 10: 11/10-11/16

The Middle "Homecoming II: The Tailgate"
Axl said he broke up with Devin. Did I miss that? Did it happen off camera? Is that what the whole Open Relationship conversation was supposed to be taken as?

Master of None "Mornings" & "Finale"
That was a very solid ending to the season. It moved away from standalone adventures and focused pretty heavily on the relationship stuff. "Mornings" in particular is very oddly structured, covering a lot of time, which I liked. I'm somewhat undecided about how the season ended. It all depends on how a season 2 would pick back up. It's pretty definitive as it is, so I don't know. Such a great season though.

The Big Bang Theory "The Mystery Date Observation"

As much as I did enjoy the joke of Sheldon turning down the perfect woman because she was late, I am disappointed that it means there's no excuse to use Annaleigh Tipton more.

The Peanuts Movie
I think I prefer Peanuts in holiday special form. 90 minutes is too much for me.

Girl Meets World "Girl Meets Belief"

As soon as I see this title, I know it's going to frustrate me. There's only one way a children's show can look at this: believers smugly believe and non-believers have to be angry at god or stubbornly illogically logical. I'll credit the writers for trying to present a spectrum. Riley is a staunch believer (they make damn sure to stay as vague about the beliefs as possible). Lucas is a more passive believer (It's there and he's comfortable with that). Maya seems to be angry at god (i.e. actually believing, but hating that she believes). Farkle takes the "science as religion" angle. It's fairly imbalanced though, especially with Corey chiming in too. Ultimately, it's a much bigger topic than the show's equipped to handle. They did what they could with it. The story touches on several of my personal pet peeves, but from a writing perspective, it was solidly handled.

Gorillas in the Mist
I want to see Sigourney Weavers outtakes for this movie.

The Last Man on Earth "Baby Steps"
I have to give the show credit. Not many shows have the brazenness to keep the main character this unlikable without making him the villain. Tandy is such a douche, even when he's being a good guy. He's completely incapable of saying the right thing. You know what he means to say, but it never comes out that way. I really could use some niceness amongst the characters though. They all seem to hate each other.

Last Week Tonight

John Oliver has been dipping into the sports well an awful lot. I was on board with this one though, because I've been wondering how these daily fantasy sites could be legal. It turns out, as with anything these days is, the answer is "through a loophole".

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron
Yeah, let's turn a slave narrative into a story about a horse. That won't diminish the meaning at all.

Fargo "Rhinoceros"
How crazy would it be if Nick Offerman gets an Emmy nomination for Fargo after seven years of snubbs for Parks & Rec? He's still way down in the pecking order on the show, but if he gets another showcase or two like this week's, it could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment