Friday, November 13, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Big Sleep

What I Guessed It Was About: Humphrey Bogart is a private eye investigating a murder. I'll go ahead and assume this was all set off by a dame who walked into his office one day, of course referring to Lauren Bacall. And, somebody dies, hence, the big sleep.
How I Came Into It: I still understand Bogart and Bacall fever, 60 years after it was a thing. Those two are great.

Why I Saw It: I miss film noir. It had its time long ago and it's rare that anyone finds a way to reproduce it successfully. Bogart is The Man, plain and simple. He was made for this kind of movie. Also, this was funnier than I expected. Perhaps that's just because I haven't seen enough of this genre.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The mystery was hard to follow at times. It was never so bewildering that it took me out of the movie a;together, but if you challenged me to outline what was going on, there would be a lot of blank spaces. Upon later research, I found out that there's an original cut of the movie and a "movie star" cut that was released to theaters. This second cut was harder to follow and focused more on the performances. I wonder which version I saw and how it would've been different had I seen the other.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment