Friday, November 20, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Hercules

What I Guessed It Was About: The Rock is Hercules. I'm guessing this will be a post-dead family story. He's going to go around decimating armies and monsters for 1.5-2 hours and maybe hookup with Rebecca Ferguson because who wouldn't?
How I Came Into It: This was the second Hercules movie that came out last year. Despite being an overall box office letdown, this was certainly the better received of the two movies.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) If there was a man alive right now who could embody Hercules, Dwayne Johnson would be that man. Right there you have enough to get this movie a pass. I feel like this was made thinking that it was Troy and ended up closer to King Arthur. By that, I mean there's no epic scale, but if you are looking for a bunch of hack 'n slash ancient warfare, this'll sate you.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's a bad start to have a movie with direct alternatives that I'd rather see. I can get everything I want out of Troy or King Arthur that I could want from this. Seeing that I like each of those better (Troy by a lot. King Arthur by a little), that immediately puts this as a third option to ever want to see again when I'm in the exact mood for this kind of movie. That's more of a personal issue though. In general, the movie's a bit generic and the machinations of the story are weak. It's an ok movie for what it is. It's just not anything more.


Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment