Thursday, November 12, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Weekend

The Pitch: It's like the Before series, but a lot more raw, and with British gay men.
How I Came Into It: I was torn about whether or not I should do this reaction. I've seen this before. The first time, I wasn't prepared for the type of movie that it is. It's a movie that doesn't demand your attention. It rewards it, which is what threw me off.

Why I Saw It: This is a small, quiet movie. It starts off somewhat disoriented, following Russell, who is very quiet then skips Glen and his first night together. The movie doesn't really begin until the next morning. I like how slowly the relationship builds. Yet, somehow only a day and a half later, it's over and I can't believe how much it's gone through. There's the fly on the wall approach to how the scenes are shot which I really liked once I realized that's what it's doing. The emotional beats toward the end payoff one after another after another and it leaves you sort of an emotional wreck.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: That's another thing I forgot to mention from the first time I watched this. Turn on subtitles. There's a specific choice in the movie to not always make the dialogue clear. Mix that in with it being British and it's very easy to miss what's being said at times. Or maybe that's just me. Whatever. It helped my second viewing tremendously.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment