Thursday, November 12, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Singin' in the Rain

What I Guessed It Was About: Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, and Donald O'Connor get stuck in the rain. Rather than let it ruin their day, they decide to sing and dance about it.
How I Came Into It: I watched this as part of a favorite movie night. This was another friend's contribution. This is constantly on lists for all-time greatest movies. For god's sake, it's part of The Great Movie Ride in Disney World. That's what I call credentials.

Why I Saw It: This is a wonderful movie. There's no other angle to approach this from. It's great. It's funny. The dancing and showmanship are fantastic. The performances are top notch. It's a deliriously happy movie. "Make 'Em Laugh", "Good Morning", and "Singin' In the Rain" were stuck in my head for days after watching this. I simply can't find a reason not to like this movie. It's worthy of all the praise given to it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: That's hard...It even manages to handle making commentary about the jump from silent movies to talkies, which anyone who has talked to me about The Artist, knows is a bugaboo of mine. Uhh...perhaps the part where Gene Kelly is acting out a Broadway-type sequence goes a little long. Even that I didn't mind.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment