Thursday, November 19, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Universal Soldier

What I Guessed It Was About: You know Robocop? Imagine if he was a kick boxer. Otherwise, I figure this is the same movie.
How I Came Into It: Without this movie, there wouldn't be Stargate. Without Stargate, there wouldn't be Independence Day. I wouldn't say those are natural conclusions, however they do follow Roland Emmerich's career arc in the 90s. And still, this is a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie, which means it's like a Steven Seagal movie except I'm rooting for the protagonist.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I like when any movie goes in knowing its limitations. For example, this is an action movie about Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren beating each other up. The story makes sure to contrive a way to make them superhuman and adds an attractive woman to do most of the talking. That's proper management of resources.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm going to go ahead and let you peak at my notes while I watched this...
-Those two aren't American soldiers with those accents, I hope.
-Neither of these men are supposed to be Americans. I'm going  to keep telling myself that.
-Good. They at least acknowledge the accent.
-Ok, they kind of covered why JCVD speaks that way. What about Ludgren?
-Did I miss an explanation for Lundgren or was that really supposed to pass for an American accent?

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment