Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Weekly 10: 11/17-11/23

Agents of SHIELD “Many Heads, One Tail”
Am I alone in the idea of Fitz and Simmons being vastly more interesting as only friends, with no sexual tension? I realize that ship sailed seasons ago. I like that those two characters continue to get focus. I just wish the context was different.

Modern Family “Phil's Sexy, Sexy House”

I get the feeling they gave up while writing this episode. No show stages chaos as well as Modern Family (Look no further than "Las Vegas" a year or two ago). This episode had the madness, but lacked the staging. They kept throwing more people into the house without it really tying together all that interestingly. Half the complications  (Luke with the beer) were thrown in out of nowhere. The changing perspectives in the beginning barely had a payoff either. Occasionally, I wonder how good Modern Family would be if they had half the episodes and twice the time to work on the scripts.

LA Story
This is a strange little movie. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to fully grasp what exactly it's doing, but I think I like it.

Jessica Jones
A second hit for the Marvel/Netflix partnership. This is a pretty perfect role for Kysten Ritter. I'm only about four episodes in and will be taking my time so it isn't one big blur like Daredevil was.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part2
I can't imagine how scared Lionsgate is now that their cash cow is gone. There was a time when they had both Twilight and Hunger Games in the same year. Now, their big hope is that the Divergent series doesn't tank.

Saturday Night Live “Matthew McConaughey/Adele”
There's something about the home stretch for the year that gets SNL rolling. This was the second week in a row without a bad sketch and the promise of Christmas generally get the best out of the writers and performers. One more good episode like this and it might actually make sitting through the Donald Trump episode worth it...No, that's too much. That was an awful episode.

The Night Before
It's a couple weeks early for a Christmas movie. I couldn't wait though. This is the last time I have any breathing room for movies for the next few weeks.

The Walking Dead “Heads Up”

I'm glad they waited a month to tell me something I already assumed when it first happened. Glenn is alive and I'm thoroughly bored. The pacing of this batch of episodes has been horrible. I keep hearing about how more showrunners are designing their shows for binges rather than individual episodes and that's definitely the case here. This is the first stretch of episodes in several seasons that I've actively disliked watching.

The Leftovers “International Assassin”
That was a bizarre episode that only The Leftovers could pull off. I feel sorry for anyone who hate watches this show, because there's so much for them to dislike. I'm fully loving it though. I can't believe there's only two more episodes left...and that there's no guarantee that there will be another season.

Fargo “Did You Do This? No, You Did It”
I got a little confused about this episode. I was completely confused about Dodd the whole time. Not in a "I wonder where Dodd is?" way, but in a "Did Dodd die? Did I miss something". This is the first week in which I worried that I somehow wasn't paying enough attention. It turns out I wasn't alone. Other than the bits of confusion, there was all sorts of things to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment