Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Weekly 10: 11/3-11/9

Master of None
I am loving this show. It's fantastic. I didn't realize I could like Aziz Ansari this much, despite loving him on Parks and Rec. The show is half romantic comedy and half sociological study. I still have two episodes left, but the show has already addressed generational differences, gender experiences, depictions of Indians on TV, and infidelity. Then it's also managed to squeeze in romantic elements that are sweeter than just about any RomCom out there. So many great supporting characters. I'm happy to see Noel Wells in particular land such a good role after parting with SNL. This show is already a lock for my top 10 shows for the year.

Rosemary's Baby
I did a horror movie night with some friends, and I going to go through all the movies here since it was a great lineup. I'd seen Rosemary's Baby before but didn't remember it well. I'm very happy that I saw it again. It holds up so well, even nearly 50 years later.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
I saw this before far more recently than Rosemary's Baby but on AMC. This time, I got to see in on Bluray and that's fortunate. The AMC version ruined the movie. The Bluray is beautiful.

It Follows
Such a simple concept that's effective enough to remain scary, despite not really knowing where to go with the story.

The Babadook
The only downside to a movie this crazy is that the resolution almost has to be underwhelming.

The Walking Dead "Now"
The cast is too big. Don't start building up all the Alexandrians when 1) we know most of them will end up dead and 2) there's so many more characters that I care about that I'd rather be following. This half season so far has been one miscalculation after another.

American Horror Story: Hotel "Room Service"
Am I the only one who is a little bothered by the school scenes? Not that it scandalized me or anything. It just seems like a tactless move. I can't fully judge until I see how it all plays out, but the disturbing part of that was actually the kid killing his parents off screen before school. Everything at the school was just sensationalism run rampant. I know, I know. Criticizing AHS for sensationalizing things is like saying "I hate I Love Lucy because of all the jokes". It's definitely an indicator that another season of this is unlikely for me.

Fargo "The Gift of the Magi"
Bruce Campbell as Ronald Reagan is something essential that I never knew I needed.

Spectre
Other than a stupid plot twist or two, I don't see how this is any better or worse than Skyfall.

Scream Queens "Beware Young Girls"
Ariana Grande is the stealth MVP of this season. Any time she's shown up has been hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment