Saturday, November 28, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Primer

What I Guessed It Was About: A couple guys develop a time machine.
How I Came Into It: I was scared to watch this. The hype was built up too high, I was certain. It was made for a few thousand dollars and has a reputation for having perhaps the best handling of time travel of any movie. It was either going to be a let down or be too smart for me.

Why I Saw It: Ok, it was too smart for me, but not in an isolating way. It does so much with limited resources. Movies made for 100x as much money aren't able to pull off what this does. While I couldn't explain everything about the timelines and how it all plays out, I'm sure that writer/director/star Shane Carruth could. I appreciate that. I don't generally seek out movies that make me think this much (or in this way), but I'm glad I did for this.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The mix of unpolished production, dense topic, and slow start made this a little hard to begin. Once I got used to all that, it zipped right along (the short run time helped that too).

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment