Sunday, November 15, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Innerspace

What I Guessed It Was About: Dennis Quiad shrinks somehow and goes all Magic School Bus through Martin Short's body. Zaniness ensues.
How I Came Into It: On paper, I like this cast. It's Dennis Quaid, Martin Short, and Meg Ryan all in their primes. That's a pleasant mix. Beyond that, it's part of that growing list of movies that barely made the top 50 in a time when far fewer movies were released, and I would've never heard of if not for my list. There haven't been a lot of those that were pleasant surprises.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Martin Short is let loose and gets to be physical and funny. That's why you watch this movie. Dennis Quaid doesn't have to do much. When he does, it's with an ease that works well for him. Meg Ryan is off to the side a bit. She still gets to be charming, stuck in the middle of these guys. This is a loopy story that didn't try to make me take it seriously often. That was a smart move.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's not hard to see why this has been mostly forgotten. All the actors have done their shtick elsewhere in better movies. I can't say it made enough of an impression on me to find things I didn't like about it, which then becomes my most damning criticism.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment