Saturday, November 21, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Alive

What I Guessed It Was About: I'd read the Wikipedia article before so I was familiar with the story. A Uruguayan rugby team crashes on the Andes mountains and has to survive for about two months. Cannibalism occurs.
How I Came Into It: Being familiar with the story already, I was mostly curious about how they'd handle the cannibalism. I assumed "not well" considering that this movie hasn't carried a lot of infamy since its release. That generally means they undercooked the scandalous part(s).

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is one of those movies that works best with the Wikipedia page pulled up in order to critique every decision made. Overall, it stays pretty true to the actual events, mostly dropping a couple of the duller parts. Thankfully, the real story is harrowing enough that not much needs to be done to Hollywood it up.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The performances are too big. The different people going mad after the plane crash are comical. You get the feeling that someone in the production read a book that said people act hysterical in situations like this, and the director took it to mean those people should overact like they never have before. I shouldn't laugh as much as I did, especially in the beginning, and I laughed a lot.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment